Monday, September 12, 2011

Google Sheets

For EDUC 520 we were given a Google Spreadsheet with a bunch of student test scores.  We then had to do a variety of activities to get the information we needed from the raw data.  What I loved about this assignment was how realistic this activity will be.  This is an activity that will be extremely useful throughout my teaching career.  Knowing how to manipulate the raw data into information to draw conclusions from will be necessary in order to constantly reviewing myself as a teacher.  I have not used excel much in my college career however after referring back to the instructional videos a few time I was able to play around with the spreadsheet pretty easily.  I liked the idea of labeling different categories of numbers such as raw data or averages using different colors.  Not only does this clean my sheet up it also keep things organized for me the user.  I also liked using separate pages just in case you mess up something on one sheet your raw data should be intact.
            From the raw data we were presented with I found the following information when it comes to test averages, student averages, and overall average.  I then Isolated the students that fell below the class average of 192.  With those students I created a line graph so I can see the trend of those students that are struggling.   From the data I gathered for the most part scores have been rising.  What I don't know is if the tests are the same difficulty or if there is actual improvement.  I could ask Hepburn, " Hey I saw that from test 6 to test 7 you improved your score by 60 points.  Was there anything I did that I could do in the future?"  Mostly Knowing how to manipulate the data I will be able to see trends in my students as well as my teaching.    Here is the graph I ended up with.





zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

1 comment:

  1. Excellent effort. Just a few updates needed.
    1. please include the actual final Data Table (with scores, averages, etc.)
    2. consider 'switching' the X and Y data (eg, students over in the Legend, and tests along the bottom). Much easier to interpret!

    ReplyDelete